4.12.2016

Free sewing pattern: Fabric Coasters


Free sewing pattern: Fabric Coasters


It's been quite long since I posted a sewing project. This was perfect since I received an order on the same from my friend. I wanted to post on this as it took me approximately less than 2 hours to complete the entire project from cutting the fabric to finishing. It is a great project for beginners learning to sew straight lines and great for ones who want something new and fresh looking for their tables when guests arrive :) So here's a super easy Fabric Coaster pattern. 

I have made a collage of the steps rather than just a step-by-step procedure, for your convenience. The image itself speaks a lot, but in case you have doubts as to what that step is, I have the written procedure below.


MATERIALS REQUIRED: 
  1. Cotton Fabric {I used canvas fabric} - half a yard or less
  2. Interfacing or flannel
  3. Fabric marker / pen
  4. Scissors



PROCEDURE:

Free sewing pattern DIY Fabric Coasters


WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS: (for one coaster)


    1. Cut the main fabric - 2 nos. - 5x5 inches
    2. Cut the interfacing / flannel - 1 no. - 5x5 inches
    3. Place the fabrics right side facing each other, and place the interfacing below these.
    4. Sew the entire piece with 1/2" seam allowance {for beginners learning to sew} / or 1/4" seam allowance for others ; do not sew at-least 2" to 2.5" on one side. {If you find the extra fabric to be thick, then trim the excess around the sewn edge}.
    5. Turn the fabric inside out through this gap, press and push the corners, fold the seam allowance on the gap and iron it.
    6. Finally, sew the gap and all around with 1/8" seam allowance. {I continuously did this by sewing from beginning of the gap and top-stitching all around and then finishing where I began}.



TOP-STITCHING VIDEO:

A video on how to top-stitch the square continuously.





FINISHED DIMENSIONS:

4" x 4"  - if you used 1/2" seam allowance.
(or)
4.5" x 4.5" - if you used 1/4" seam allowance.


NOTE:

If you are a beginner, then please draw using a fabric marker or pen on the actual seam to be stitched on to get better results. {I still draw lines ;) }

And there you have it. You're very own Fabric Coasters sewn and ready to use. With this same technique, you can make a Placemat (without the interfacing/flannel). I have done one using the same fabric to match these.

Free sewing pattern DIY Fabric Coasters, placemats


Free sewing pattern DIY Fabric Coasters and placemats


And guess what. I also made a cute purse to carry all my crochet hooks and needles :) Isn't it cute. 

Free sewing pattern DIY Fabric Coasters and placemats, fabric purse


I have some more fabric left and I am thinking of making another purse :)

Did you like the coasters pattern, the placemats and the purse? If you have any queries, please leave a comment below and I'll definitely get back to you. Keep practicing, stay safe, keep smiling. Have a wonderful week :)  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to stop by. I would love if you leave some inspiring comments about the post. To avoid spam and unwanted users from leaving a comment, your comment will be verified and posted in sometime. Thank you :)